Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1480 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Old Wives Tales

I wasn't pissed, but it was before my coffee. :jointsmile:

Old Wives Tales

Interesting stuff, used to hear hanging the plants upside down was so the "thc can flow from the stem/stalks to the flowers" and have seen guys get pretty pissed off when you tell them thats not true trying to defend their method.

I used to hear trimming sun leaves helped the plant branch out, a buddy of mine did this a long time ago and pretty much killed his plants.

How about indoor is MUCH better then outdoor buds or that "outdoor buds are garbage". I literally was told this two days ago!

I find that miracle grow works quite well, not sure what all the fuss is about for an all around fertilizer it's effective and cheap.

Never heard about all these different darkness routines although I do wonder if the flowers do indeed grow at night while during the day they release the resins? I could swear I've read that Chrysanthemums(sp?) flowers grow at night.

I've had some bad luck in the past, my buddy is like "how hard can it be, put it in the ground and water it, it's not that difficult..." I wholeheartedly disagree as it takes some practice and work. Under ideal circumstances it probably isn't so difficult but many of us face challenges with space, indoor/outdoor, discretion can be a problem etc.

How about the climate in the midwest only produces male plants? My stepdad used to say this.

Old Wives Tales

Great thread idea WW :thumbsup:
    I heard one the other day: I was told I shouldn't be watering my plants from the top of the soil, its best to water from below in a tray and let the plants suck up the water. This stops the 'plant shit' from washing down into the roots and is more natural :wtf:

Never been a fan of root rot or plants sitting around in the wet. God knows what this plant shit was supposed to be, it got lost in translation.

4.   Advertisements

Old Wives Tales

I heard one the other day: I was told I shouldn't be watering my plants from the top of the soil, its best to water from below in a tray and let the plants suck up the water. This stops the 'plant shit' from washing down into the roots and is more natural >>>

Considering the plants have vertical and lateral rooting it wouldn't seem too beneficial to me.

I've also heard to deprive plants of water to make them stronger and heartier....someone used the analogy of how fat and lazy a person feels after eating a big meal, which is true but if that person eats a few big meals a day they will gain a lot of weight too!

Old Wives Tales

Watering from the bottom promotes root rot, kills the roots and beneficials near the top (unwatered) zone and prevents the proper formation of roots. Not positive about the effects of wicking, (feeding from the bottom) but I do know that when you water from the top, air is drawn-down into the root system via suction from the water.

If you piss-off your ladies often enough (dehydration, for instance) eventually they'll reach the tipping point.

Old Wives Tales

I've read that you can wick by overwatering top to bottom and letting the wicks suck up the extra water, this way the lateral roots are also watered.

I learned a hard lesson about lateral rooting, I had transplanted a few plants growing in large styro cups, the first few times I cut the cups open the soil fell apart along with some rooting so I was afraid they would be damaged, so the next few I just cut the bottom of the cup off and put them in the soil which was a mistake, the plants growth was stunted and when I finally pulled them after they were harvested the root cluster hadn't grown much beyond the original styro. cup. I called them runts and didn't bother to clone them but it wasn't their fault it was mine! LOL They produced the best bud of the bunch too.

Old Wives Tales

"RO or Distilled water is the only way to go."

Well maybe if you want to add a bunch of stuff to replace the micronutes. Technically either should not have any minerals at all, just pure water. Plants require those minerals and it is very important to replace them or the plant will suffer very slowly and not give much indication if illness until very, very sick. I use tap water pH'd to 6-6.5 and I don't worry about chlorine or chloramines.

Old Wives Tales

Quote Originally Posted by seventhchild
    another OWT....DO NOT HARVEST UNTIL THE TRICHS TURN ? % AMBER...we are growing medicine to treat various ailments....not dope to get high on....some of my friends require(prefer?) 100% clear trics to treat their symptoms during the day....others want mostly cloudy...and most seem to only want ambered trics for night meds(to strong) unless they are in constant pain....
    I was clearly referring to strength and taste. You can harvest early and have weak funky tasting weed which it appears some people prefer. It is true that there are several people who also would not like my medibles either. They are way stonger than any at the dispensaries.

I do have constant pain so it would never occur to me to purposely make weed that is weak and poor tasting for no reason. I just wanted to make sure folks knew that if they wanted the full strength and taste of the weed they need to see the amber or brown trichomes. It is true that weed with clear or cloudy trichomes will still get you high, just not as high. Most folks would need to smoke more to feel the medicinal effects. I want the strongest effect from the smallest amount of weed.

Most people I know who harvest early do so because of paranoia from a multitude of sources. Not to create weak weed.

Old Wives Tales

Quote Originally Posted by rudy2010
    I was clearly referring to strength and taste. You can harvest early and have weak funky tasting weed which it appears some people prefer.

I do have constant pain so it would never occur to me to purposely make weed that is weak and poor tasting for no reason. I just wanted to make sure folks knew that if they wanted the full strength and taste of the weed they need to see the amber or brown trichomes. It is true that weed with clear or cloudy trichomes will still get you high, just not as high. Most folks would need to smoke more to feel the medicinal effects. I want the strongest effect from the smallest amount of weed.

Most people I know who harvest early do so because of paranoia from a multitude of sources. Not to create weak weed.
    this is your first post in this thread so it is unclear where you were" clearly referring to strength and taste" . if you learn to flush properly and cure correctly you will not have"funky tasting weed " most buds are at full flavor and aroma when the trics are mostly cloudy......i'm sorry for your pain and understand your need for Demerol type meds ,i do provide that but , as i said, not all patients require pain meds nor do all smokers desire to" get high"....this is a thread about OLD WIVES TALES so some factual info would be helpful.....i be back later...

Old Wives Tales

Quote Originally Posted by rudy2010
    I was clearly referring to strength and taste. You can harvest early and have weak funky tasting weed which it appears some people prefer. It is true that there are several people who also would not like my medibles either. They are way stonger than any at the dispensaries.

Boy...you need to do some serious reading, as most of your post is based on supposition, lack of knowledge, and inuendo. Harvesting at different levels of maturity gives different effects. Some can't deal with "sleepytime" meds, so they harvest before the CBD:CBN ratio makes it too strong for daytime use. It's a flexibility that once you get to know your strain, you can control. Not too sure where you got the stuff about tasting crappy, but perhaps that's just your strain or techniques that are doing this...

But I seriously doubt you know what most people want nor need in their daily life as a medical cannabis patient. Some folks don't have the lungs for over-ripe cannabis. Some are on other meds and use cannabis as a goal-specific medication, (appetite stimulant, stress reliever...) and some can't smoke power-weed all day long, nor would they want to. (mothers, business owners...) And some of us are not just ripping bonghits and watching SpongeBob all day. We continue with our lives, and being hammered all day every day is not desirable to some of us that already have health and/or stamina issues. I get around this by having a variety of phenotypes and strains on hand, which I can harvest when it's best for my wife and I, not what's best for some uninformed forum member who prefers "shitfaced" over "comfortable".

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast