Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1432 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Billion Years

Just noticed this. As well as can be expected under the circumstances. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBlazer
    Glad to see you're still around gypski. Got a little worried. Hope all is well.

Billion Years

Gypski have you ever thought about making a manual of some sort on how to make the pipes that you make? I don't want to sound like I'd be stealing your idea but I think it'd be interesting and fun to make one of my own!

Billion Years

Hey Kyle, I have a nephew named Kyle.....There are some pipe making guides on the web now, and you can buy blanks from them. I usually buy a block or slab. I then cut out the size block I want for a pipe, normally 1"X3 1/4". I drill tyhe small hole with an 1/8 in bit, the bowl hole with a 1/2 bit. I cut every thing with a hacksaw or hacksaw with a grit blade. The stone I have right now is pretty hard, almost too hard. I use a double rasp and files for shaping, and different sandpaper grits for smoothing and finishing.

One of the Native American Pipe sites should have pipe blocks for sale. The stone is softer since they have the rights to the best pipe stone quarries, then the mine it in the traditional way they have always minded it.

If you need some tips and give it a try, just ask me and I'll give you the best answer I can. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by KyleIsNorml
    Gypski have you ever thought about making a manual of some sort on how to make the pipes that you make? I don't want to sound like I'd be stealing your idea but I think it'd be interesting and fun to make one of my own!

Billion Years

Ahhh thanks a lot man I really appreciate it! :thumbsup:

I've always been interested in stone pipes when I first saw one in a smoke shop, I think I'd like to give it a try for the most part. About how much is invested for doing such pipe making?

Billion Years

I probably have a couple hundred bucks in tools that I use for pipes. I have had most of them for years from carpentry. The biggest expense was the drill press, $100.00. Then you need the little items like sandpaper (a variety pack will do for a single pipe), hacksaw with blades, a double rasp (course,fine), drill of some kind, and imagination. There are blanks you can buy from some site, I don't think they are pre-drilled. If my stone wasn't as hard as it is, I'd send you a drilled blank for free and the cost of postage, but its too hard for a first one. After all that, not really all that much.

Remember, the Native Americans drilled theirs with stone drill bits, and cut them with sinew coated with sandy grit. Then polished and finished them by rubbing with sand from the river banks.

If you give it a try, I'll help you along the way as long as I'm around, and I don't plan on totally disappearing!!! I hope I answered your question. :thumbsup:

As an after thought, you might want to get some soap stone and make one first to get a feel for it. Here is where I get my stone, and I've gotten the steatite too.

Steatite Carving Stone from Rockman

Quote Originally Posted by KyleIsNorml
    Ahhh thanks a lot man I really appreciate it! :thumbsup:

I've always been interested in stone pipes when I first saw one in a smoke shop, I think I'd like to give it a try for the most part. About how much is invested for doing such pipe making?

Billion Years

Very nice pipes gypski. Do you use power tools or hand tools for the shaping?

Quote Originally Posted by gypski
    You can keep it shiny by putting a little vegetable oil on a paper towel and rubbing it in, then wiping it off with a cloth. :thumbsup:
    I'd stay a way from vegetable oil for a finish, it can go rancid and get smelly.
    Plain old mineral oil would probably be better choice. Its use as a food safe finish on woodworking projects.

I love it when i come across these 'maker' threds. It's cool to see people makin there own stuff. being a woodworker and general maker of things, I appreciate the craftsmanship in hand made items. A lot of time patients and skill went into making those very cool pipes. Nice job.

Billion Years

Wish I had read trough the hole thred before I posted that last comment. You already answered my question.

Billion Years

No problemo. And I heat it in through the oven at 175 degrees. Through use, natural oils from the skin replace it. Wax is the traditional coating for wooden stemmed pipes. I'll give the mineral oil a shot next time I get making. Thanks for the comment. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by BurningLizard
    Wish I had read trough the hole thred before I posted that last comment. You already answered my question.

9.   Advertisements

Billion Years

Gypski, I know nothing about making stuff from rocks aside from a pile or a projectile. So I don't know how brittle it is or how hard it is to work on a small pieces etc.Would you be able to make just a bowl similar to my drawing?
    The reason i asked is I turned some pipe sleeves a while ago. thease are the ones the I have left, nothing spectacular the good ones are gone. I have done some all wood pipes also but dont care for the idea of a wood bowl. Thought of glass and I'm sure it would be doable with all the glass shops around here but rock would work so much better with wood. The only critical dimension is the 3/8" di. and height of the stem that would insert int the body of the pipe the rest of the dims. and shape would be left up to you and the material your working with. So If you could take a look at my drawing and let me know what you think.

Thanks
    BL

Billion Years

Its possible. The shape would take some time to work out. I've thought of making a small stone bong, and I'd have to make a removable bowl for it sinilar to what your drawing is showing. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by BurningLizard
    Gypski, I know nothing about making stuff from rocks aside from a pile or a projectile. So I don't know how brittle it is or how hard it is to work on a small pieces etc.Would you be able to make just a bowl similar to my drawing?
    The reason i asked is I turned some pipe sleeves a while ago. thease are the ones the I have left, nothing spectacular the good ones are gone. I have done some all wood pipes also but dont care for the idea of a wood bowl. Thought of glass and I'm sure it would be doable with all the glass shops around here but rock would work so much better with wood. The only critical dimension is the 3/8" di. and height of the stem that would insert int the body of the pipe the rest of the dims. and shape would be left up to you and the material your working with. So If you could take a look at my drawing and let me know what you think.

Thanks
    BL

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast