Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1461 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

NEED ADVICE, starting 5'x5' tent grow, first indoor grow, HELP

I am making a plan for an indoor grow tent setting and need some shouts of experience and love to help me make my first indoor grow as successful as possible.
    I just moved to LA a few weeks ago and got my medical card Thursday afternoon, and yes I had the biggest shit ass grin all day as I still do days later

I plan on buying a Grow Lab 4'9 x 4'9 x 6'7 grow tent.

1000w HPS hortilux bulb

either an air fed enclosed hood or a cool tube(which ones do you favor)?

i am pretty sold on a switchable MH/HPS electronic ballast, any brands you suggest or good 1000w ones you know of

how many plants can i get in there with a 1000w, should I use 3 gallon or 5 gallon depending on how many plants fit?
    better for more smaller plants or few huge ones? or do they average out in the end?

with an semi enclosed space is there a math formula to determine CFM air exchange to be ready to plan out for using a 1000w bulb?

I bought 3 moisture level 18" probes, thought to use each probe for each size pot using same soil. so if i had 10 pos, 6 beings 3 gallon i would use1 probe and if the last 4 were 5 gallon to use another probe. am i going overboard?

I am planning on noting everything i do down in a booklet, using labels for each plant, when and how much watered, light cycle, what Nutes are fed and whatnot.

I was thinking to plant 6-8 sets of seedlings. 2 of each strain would show for the first grow what does well under these circumstances and environment am i right?
    or is having 6 sets of different strains bad to veg and flower together?

I was told after sexing, if you want to have afgan, northern lights and OG growing together it was all good??? thoughts anyone????

i was planning on sitting the pots on benches to raise them between 10-12 inches off the floor. i was wondering if this was a good idea to help generate air flow throughout the grow room and prevent any moisture buildup on the floor if any ???? thoughts???

I really would very much love any good information you can bestow upon me.

If there any of you guys out near LA, especially near Culver City, passionate gardeners would be great to to either learn from or meet IRL for sharing of ideals

Peace
    ridesdeepsnow Reviewed by ridesdeepsnow on . NEED ADVICE, starting 5'x5' tent grow, first indoor grow, HELP I am making a plan for an indoor grow tent setting and need some shouts of experience and love to help me make my first indoor grow as successful as possible. I just moved to LA a few weeks ago and got my medical card Thursday afternoon, and yes I had the biggest shit ass grin all day as I still do days later I plan on buying a Grow Lab 4'9 x 4'9 x 6'7 grow tent. 1000w HPS hortilux bulb either an air fed enclosed hood or a cool tube(which ones do you favor)? i am pretty sold on a Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

NEED ADVICE, starting 5'x5' tent grow, first indoor grow, HELP

Quote Originally Posted by ridesdeepsnow
    I am making a plan for an indoor grow tent setting and need some shouts of experience and love to help me make my first indoor grow as successful as possible.
    I just moved to LA a few weeks ago and got my medical card Thursday afternoon, and yes I had the biggest shit ass grin all day as I still do days later
    This too shall pass. (once you get the new power bill, lol)

1000w HPS hortilux bulb
    Overpriced unless you're a cash cropper. Cheaper bulbs are available, and most HPS bulbs work just fine. Perhaps check the indoor lighting forum.

either an air fed enclosed hood or a cool tube(which ones do you favor)?
    I like the enclosed hood focusing the light down onto the plants. Why light the cieling...?

i am pretty sold on a switchable MH/HPS electronic ballast, any brands you suggest or good 1000w ones you know of
    I've had great results with each Sunlight Supply light and ballast kit I've used. The e-Bay crap is crap. Switchable ballasts are less effecient, but do offer flexibility and the need to purchase 2 different bulbs. Were it me...I'd go with a simple 1000w HPS, and use it for both growth and flower cycles.

how many plants can i get in there with a 1000w, should I use 3 gallon or 5 gallon depending on how many plants fit?
    better for more smaller plants or few huge ones? or do they average out in the end?
    Depends on shape/dimensions of pots. 16 - 5 galloners will really be cramped, but 16 - 3 galloners should fit fine.

I bought 3 moisture level 18" probes, thought to use each probe for each size pot using same soil. so if i had 10 pos, 6 beings 3 gallon i would use1 probe and if the last 4 were 5 gallon to use another probe. am i going overboard?
    Yup. Would return them as inoperable, and go with a ph pen. I never met a soil probe I didn't toss against the wall...tempermental and inaccurate. Any ph pen other than Hannah, which are garbage.

I am planning on noting everything i do down in a booklet, using labels for each plant, when and how much watered, light cycle, what Nutes are fed and whatnot.
    Called a grow log. Great idea. Worth the time if serious about your meds.

I was thinking to plant 6-8 sets of seedlings. 2 of each strain would show for the first grow what does well under these circumstances and environment am i right?
    or is having 6 sets of different strains bad to veg and flower together?
    Until you get used to the tent, the strain, the nutrients...one strain at a time. Sativa dominates and indica dominates frow to different heights. (sativas can get very tall)

I was told after sexing, if you want to have afgan, northern lights and OG growing together it was all good??? thoughts anyone????
    You'll want to keep the taller plants twords the outside perimeter, shorter plants twords the middle, but best to stick with one phenotype or another. All sativa dominates, or all indica dominates.

i was planning on sitting the pots on benches to raise them between 10-12 inches off the floor. i was wondering if this was a good idea to help generate air flow throughout the grow room and prevent any moisture buildup on the floor if any ???? thoughts???
    With a 1000 watter, doubtful moisture on the floor will be an issue, but we raise the plants to even the canopy all the time. And yes, it is a good idea. (easier to wipe-up spills, too)
    [/QUOTE]