Activity Stream
227,828 MEMBERS
1269 ONLINE
greengrassforums On YouTube Subscribe to our Newsletter greengrassforums On Twitter greengrassforums On Facebook greengrassforums On Google+
banner1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

rooting a fan leaf possible?

my 10 kids are 5 weeks old today going on day 30, just now starting on their 5th nodes. First and foremost, is it me or are my plants just growing hella slow? I've seen other kids on day 30 and they have more shoots and more nodes developed.. I have 6 indica and 4 sativa.

I dont wanna throw them into flower just yet, because to me they're still small, but I wanna sex them as soon as possible.

I was wondering if it were possible to cut a fan leaf and root it. I've seen some flowered plants before and noticed a bud growing at the center of some fan leaves and was wondering if I could pull this off if I rooted a fan leaf on 24/0 and threw into flowering a week or two later.

Would the leaf just die? I usually notice buds or sacks forming at the internodes, which brings me to my confusion in this time of desperation.
    sheist Reviewed by sheist on . rooting a fan leaf possible? my 10 kids are 5 weeks old today going on day 30, just now starting on their 5th nodes. First and foremost, is it me or are my plants just growing hella slow? I've seen other kids on day 30 and they have more shoots and more nodes developed.. I have 6 indica and 4 sativa. I dont wanna throw them into flower just yet, because to me they're still small, but I wanna sex them as soon as possible. I was wondering if it were possible to cut a fan leaf and root it. I've seen some flowered Rating: 5

2.   Advertisements

You can root a fan leaf, but it ain't easy or quick.

You really need a good root hormone to add to your water and patience.
    I've used "willow water" in an ez-clonner to do them, and even then not all will take to rooting. And time to root varies by strain, but 2-3 times a regular cutting.

Willow water can be made by taking a bundle of willow cuttings and placing them in a bucket of water usually outdoors, and letting them sit for awhile till they start to show roots. Take willows out and strain water, it now is loaded with rooting hormones that you can use to water your leaf cuttings in rapid rooters, small RW cubes or use in a clonner.

Not fool proof, not easy but can be done. Hope this helps you.
    Keep it civil please, gentlemen. -StinkyAttic

yes you can

Great picture VapedG13, I think I've seen it before.

Well, was it harder or longer to root for you then a regular cutting?

Hey all, You can root a fan leaf, but all that will happen is the leaf will grow firkin huge then fall over and die. The chemical making thingmajigies aren't in the fan stem tissue for the creation on a full plant.
    At least I'm pretty sure thats the case.

-Peace-
    Like everything i have ever said here, just ignore me, it\'s all BS, none of this ever happened nor ever will.. i just have a very vivid imagination
    Past efforts:
    440W CFL Trial and NO error
    1st ever effort.. the Lone Ranger

Don't you need some Stem Cells to get that leaf going. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jungl3Jim
    Hey all, You can root a fan leaf, but all that will happen is the leaf will grow firkin huge then fall over and die. The chemical making thingmajigies aren't in the fan stem tissue for the creation on a full plant.
    At least I'm pretty sure thats the case.

-Peace-
    I'm no biology expert, but I do know when doing tissue culture, we use a piece of the leaf usually a small cross section to include the central vien of the leaf, seems to have everthing geneticly there to replicate a plantlet that is a REAL clone not a propagated cutting. Possiblly the chemical thingmajigies who speak of are the various hormones to stimulate certian cells to multiple. But since they are not in the leaves we can buy them in bottles and give it to them. This is also referred to as micro-propagation.

I've only tried to root them to see if they would, never tried to grow them out, but I have a funny feeling I could. Any wagers.

Maybe Vapedg13 can answer your question, will it grow to plants status Vaped?

Oldmac: At the cellular level, can't you force most plant processes by applying the appropriate chemical, enzyme, etc?

But out here, at gardener's level so to speak, you're saying you could take just a fan leaf, without a node, and root it by conventional means? And grow a plant from it?

VapedG13, is that your plant? If so, did it grow a stem?

Your are absolutely right Carabby, enzyemes, stimulate chems or vitamins and hormones; plus have the appropriate growing media if tissue culture. Didn't want to go too deep into it, well you know, thingamajigie or something (i bet i screw the spelling of that)

I had done the experiment of rooting fan or water leaves, but took sooo long that I didn't care if it would grow further. I had cut abt 1/3 of the leaf ends on mine vs Vaped's. There was no way that type of start would fit into anytype of production opertation. Time is money and all of that, it's all about efficency.

BTW, don't tell no one....i'm typing under the influence, in a mutli part multi drug full blow scienfic research project. Oh and I need to post some pics on the selecting mom thread. Just realized today with my morbid posting...I'm an orphan. (wow I have tokeep going backandput spaces betewwn words and my sppeling is ggetting worst)

"Possiblly the chemical thingmajigies who speak of are the various hormones to stimulate certian cells to multiple"
    That sounds about right.. but I'm only going on what I've read.

I dont mean to be a dick, but I sure wasn't referring to true clones.
    I thought this was about rooting str8 cuttings. :stoned:
    Like everything i have ever said here, just ignore me, it\'s all BS, none of this ever happened nor ever will.. i just have a very vivid imagination
    Past efforts:
    440W CFL Trial and NO error
    1st ever effort.. the Lone Ranger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast